Yesterday I checked another thing off the 'list' and baked some bread. One loaf to eat this week, and another to freeze and have on hand when James is born. (I eat toast for breakfast almost every morning--and breakfast toast is amazing with homemade bread!) This was a new recipe from my More With Less cookbook. I made Easy No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread. It had a few eggs (not so typical compared to the other two kinds I've made this summer) and three tablespoons of yeast in it. It's a good think I kept an eye on it, because it would have overtaken the kitchen, if I'd let it rise the recommended time. Something else different about this recipe: it makes a stiff batter, not dough, so it really doesn't expect you to knead it at all. Instead you pour (or coax, very messily, as I did) it into bread pans. Anyway. It made the nicest huge loaves I've baked this summer...and it is so moist! Verdict: recipe is a keeper.Then I also made Fajitas for dinner. Mid-morning I thawed a few chicken breasts and then marinated them with a somewhat new marinade recipe mid-day til dinnertime. I love this marinade. So I felt inspired by, just not quite as talented as, the Pioneer Woman's cooking blog section. I love her photos, so I thought it would be fun to take a few step-by-step pictures. I didn't do this nearly to the extent that she does. (Made me wonder: how often does she have to have her camera cleaned?...my kitchen is messy when I cook...and just how much longer does cooking take for her when she stops every three minutes to get a great photo?)
The ingredients I started out with for the chicken marinade: 2 chicken breasts, slided thinly (easier done when still slightly frozen), 4 T veg. oil, 3 T lime juice, 2 cloves minced garlic, a healthy dash of chili pwdr., 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp. red chili flakes, and a small bunch of cilantro, chopped up finely (2-3T?)! I marinated this for about five hours, but I think maybe up to 24 hours the first time I made it. I used a few recipes from Allrecipes.com and tweaked all of them to come up with this earlier this summer. It's delicious!!! If you don't love cilantro, you could omit it, but I can't guarantee it would be as lovable as I find it.
chopped up veggies. We had a yellow pepper from our garden. I bought a green pepper and white onion to add. I used a med.-sized onion.I added the peppers to the cooking chicken and stirred frequently for 15-20 minutes, until the veggies were nice and soft and the onions a little caramelized.
We ate the fajitas with sour cream, fresh salsa, and the best Mexican Rice I've ever had! I included the link to Allrecipes, there, where I found it. The texture was perfect--it's all about cooking the rice in a little oil before adding liquid...this was new for me! In the recipe, I used salsa, instead of tomato sauce and one chicken bouillon cube in water, to replace the broth. It was my most successful Spanish/Mexican rice ever. I've tried about three different kinds. Anyway. Enjoy. I'm going to go eat something, because all this talk about food has made me hungry!




4 comments:
Em, I had no idea you had a vegetable garden! Yes! I have someone's brain to pick. Did you have any bug problems? Heather's always teasing me because I get so angry about bugs in my flower gardens, but it would be so nice to have a veggie garden next year. You saved like $2 by not having to buy one yellow pepper. Those fajitas sound great, as well as the bread. I am so happy everyone is putting up recipes. I have the hardest time figuring out what to make.
Hey! I have the More With Less Cookbook too! It's so funny you mentioned it because I was looking through it (trying to find homemade enchilada sauce) right before I sat down at the computer! Ha! I adore that cook book. Way handy. That oatmeal bread from my blog is out of it. I also love the Pioneer woman. I made her chicken spaghetti two nights ago...yum. I love your blog. It's so fun! We seem to have a lot it common!!
Hey! I so want that bread recipe! I've always wanted to make my own bread especially if it is whole wheat AND no Knead!!!
and just reading about yours makes me hungry for it!
Emily, I am enjoying your blog. :) I have just recently gotten into the Pioneer Woman. So excited for you and Mark!! You'll be awesome parents!
Post a Comment