Friday, September 10, 2010

'Projects' for Active Little Boys

I've been trying lately to brainstorm and research ideas of 'crafty' projects and creative activities to do with James. First off, I'm expecting that both cooler weather and a newborn will soon be keeping us indoors in the coming months. I also want him to learn to express himself creatively and enjoy 'art'. But I have really struggled coming up with ideas of things that are age appropriate and James-appropriate. James puts e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g in his mouth. He never grew out of that phase and it nearly drives me crazy. We've tried crayons, colored pencils, and even markers (I was feeling brave)--he puts them ALL in his mouth and even bites into crayons...it's completely irresistible for him! Here are two activities we've done lately that James has enjoyed.

Ice Cube "Ball"

This one is best suited for hot weather and the outdoors, but I might try it out in the bathtub sometime, too, and add food coloring for fun. I froze a water balloon, peeled off the balloon after it was solid through, and let him play with it. He carried it around, sucked on it, and threw it at things for about 45 minutes. It helps that I already knew he loves ice.

Playing in the sprinkler didn't hurt either...a great activity for a hot day!

Edible Playdough
I used a recipe found in The Toddler's Busy Book but there are several online, too. Basically just peanut butter, powdered milk and honey. Sounds totally sticky, right? It actually was surprisingly NOT sticky! Greasy, yes, but not sticky. I hesitated attempting this, afraid that James will now assume that all playdough is edible, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. He LOVED this activity. I rummaged through the utensil drawer and pulled out several things for him to play with.

After sampling a good amount of the playdough, he did get to playing with it. He was really excited about using my kitchen 'hammer', my meat mallet.

I also offered him some small cookie cutters and an old fashioned can opener (because he's obsessed with it). Here he is putting it to work in his own little way!

P.S. I'd love any suggestions you may have of activities or crafts that are do-able with a very active two year old!

2 comments:

flock of jayhawks said...

I've been meaning to ask my mom what she did with her child craft books from when she did daycare, maybe this will help light the fire. I remember them have fun science projects and such, so not only were we active we were learning also. I'll let you know if I find them.

~MC

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

there are great online recipes for non-toxic homemade playdough for when you want to do that - that way if he does sneak a bite it is mostly just flour and water and you can even use koolaid to color it so that it smells yummy instead of all salty like playdough does...

You should get a sand box for him! If you think he could keep it out of his mouth!