Craft Alert and Baby Announcement
Here's my big crafty blogging baby announcement; we're expecting another baby! Here's a T-shirt I made (painted) for James tonight. Okay, so the news isn't so new. I was so exhausted the first trimester that I didn't get around to blogging about anything and have been so busy the past month that I haven't had time either! Baby #2 is due in October. Now, on to the craft....
Not sure why I'm so obsessed with this craft. Perhaps because it can be successfully accomplished in an hour or two? Maybe because my FIRST trial run actually worked? Or maybe because it's fairly cheap? So many great things about it! This is a variation of the craft we did at Andrea's Baby Shower (photos & recipes coming soon). See this and this website for some more in-depth instructions and tips.
My inspiration for this t-shirt design came from this. I had already purchased a red t-shirt at H*bby L*bby not long ago for $1.50, had the paint leftover from Andrea's shower, and borrowed the freezer paper, rotary mat, and knife from my mom and Jenny. (thanks!!) First, I goofed around in Microsoft Word, picked out a font, and designed my stencil. Then I printed it (above, left). Then I traced exactly what I printed on the freezer paper (above, right).
Then I cut it out with Jenny's craft knife. I will have to buy one, because she's leaving for Memphis tomorrow. :( I thought this step would take forever. It did take 20 minutes. That, of course, varies on your design!
Then...I ironed on my stencil. Freezer Paper (which, I believe you can buy in the grocery store or craft store) is 'plastic coated' on one side. So it sticks temporarily to the fabric! Brilliant! Who came up with this? IMPORTANT: Also iron a piece about the same size INSIDE the shirt, plastic side up, so that it guards the back of the shirt from paint. You could stick something like cardboard in there, too, but I like that this method is slip-proof.
Here's the paint I used. That brand and type was recommended. I used WAY more than that little dot of paint. Maybe that was partially due to the fact that I was painting yellow on dark red....
Mark was very patient with my craft time. I was extremely indecisive about the paint color choice....
Drying with a hair dryer. I did this only a minute or two before carefully peeling off the freezer paper, using the X-acto/craft knife to pry up the edges of the letters. I will let this dry the rest of the way over night and then iron it once more to 'set' the paint in the morning (with a piece of fabric between paint & iron, just in case).
Finished product! I think it's so cute! I have a blue shirt, too, and I'm already armed with a few ideas for another Big Brother shirt...Maybe I'll post a picture of it!
And one profile picture to finish things off...Here we are at 16 weeks. I'm fairly certain I wasn't this big til 20 or 22 weeks with James! I know, I know...you're supposed to show earlier with your second child. :) Had an appointment today and found out I will get another sonogram at 20 weeks and if Baby is cooperative we'll know the gender then! Can't wait!
5 comments:
I normally don't like crafts, but that craft was really fun! I really enjoyed painting that. The Big Bro shirt looks adorable. Good job Em!
Ummm...those are all SUPER cute!!!! And so are you little momma! :) Looks like you gals had a fantastic time on Saturday :)
Love it!!! You're so good at stuff like this!!! And guess what! I'll get to meet this little one sooner than I got to meet James b/c I'll be down in December!!!!!
How exciting and I've been drooling over all the freezer paper stencils out there, unforunately there is no freezer paper in our neck of the woods. Oh well I have lots of other things to be doing.
It sounds like we're only a few weeks apart. I'm 15 weeks now due October 24ish, but I agree blogging during the pregnancy blahs is not appealing. Congrats again and you look totally cute.
great post, Emily! I bought freezer paper a long time ago to do this but still haven't - I may have to now!! That shirt for James is way too cute!
Post a Comment